Along with every asset, metadata is a key component in Library. Metadata provides technical information about the media content itself. It also contains valuable, informative data that enables the Mediabank Library to structure the chaos without static and hierarchical storage structure. Metadata enables Mediabank to organize, sort, locate, extract, and not to forget, understand the relationship and associations among hundreds of thousands of assets stored in the Library.
Some examples of the asset metadata keys & values:
- Status - New, approved, rejected, archived.
- Sport - Football, Triathlon, Roadracing, Golf, Tennis.
- Program type - Tv-show, debate, documentary, Educational
Modifying the metadata of an asset (properties)
Why change the metadata?
Sometimes the asset contains incorrect or missing metadata values, making it impossible for Mediabank to organize and structure the media content efficiently correctly.
Correct metadata is crucial for clients using Collections or Calendar views, but it also secures predictable search results in manual operations.
How to secure correct and consistent metadata
During Live Ingest, the configurations and definitions are prepared before the Event. This is done by professional crews that are aware of the importance of metadata.
Users manually uploading media content is a more common source of inaccuracies in the metadata content. However, AdEx, Mediabanks major file ingest application used by hundreds of different companies and users to upload media content in Mediabank Library, solves this by using schemes (templates) where the users fill in the needed metadata before upload. These advanced schemes need only a few user inputs to use its conditional search functions and add correct metadata from trusted external sources, freeing the user to enter the data while avoiding human errors manually.
But errors happen, and a correction is sometimes needed.
This article focuses on obtaining existing metadata from Events already in the Library and add them to assets without adequate metadata.
How to edit the metadata of an asset
Making modifications or corrections to the metadata of an asset is easy:
- Select an asset from Library thumb or list view by clicking on it once.
- Go to asset properties by clicking on the arrow on the assets thumb or select asset properties workspace.
- Select the Properties Tab. The assets properties are displayed. Select "Client defined fields."
- Modify or add the metadata values from available keys.
- Click on the button "Update meta," and the asset is now stored with its new metadata.
How to add or modify metadata by searching existing Events.
Mediabank also supports the user adding correct metadata during file ingest (upload), all in one operation. This is done by using AdEx. It is also possible to handle multiple assets assuming they are associated with a common Event.
- Load the interview into the mediaplayer and go to workspace 3, "Asset properties."
- Select the Properties Tab. It reveals all the missing or incorrect metadata keys and values.
- Click the highlighted search function in the below illustration.
Mediabank uses the AND function when it searches for events. Our search was "Miami" AND "nc" AND "stat." Any assets containing these criteria are returned.
To further enhance the metadata content of the asset, the value "Interview" is added.