Creating rough cuts, clips, sub-clips, and even exporting directly to an M-box for further processing is possible from a Live feed or an existing asset.
These features are available from the navigation module in workspace 4 & 5 (Event workspaces), known to Professional and Enterprise price plan customers only.
The modules in use performing these tasks are:
- Asset list - Select a Live feed or an existing asset. Selecting the live feed using ThumbView (W1) or ListView (W2) to select the desired media content is also possible.
- Mediaplayer - Viewing the media content.
- Navigation module - Navigate within the media content and create clips.
- Meta module containing the cliplists and download list
The Destination settings
The user can perform multiple tasks in one operation by activating the features below.
First, select the setup icon to the left of the "Create sub clip button" to enable the various features. Then activate or deactivate the features by clicking the eye symbols from the Destination setting menu. The Cliplist and M-box features need an additional destination as well. Select them from the drop-down menus
In the below example:
- The Create Subclip is selected but still grey because it needs an active live feed to function. Visualized by an entire grayed out feature
- The Download clip is not set and disabled. Instead, envisioned by a "Disabled" text and grayed out.
- The CLiplist is selected, and it is active. To deactivate/activate, click the orange button.
- The M-box is set and ready but not activated.
When the clip is created and named, the final step is to press the Execute button. In the below example, Only the Cliplist will receive the clip entry. The user can perform multiple tasks in one operation by activating additional features.
CREATE SUB CLIP, and DOWNLOAD CLIP requires a Live feed and can not be activated by
selecting an asset.
Selecting the Live feed or an existing asset
From Library, select Workspace one (ThumbView) or Workspace two (ListView). It is easy to locate scheduled live feeds and see the ongoing feeds. When a scheduled live feed goes active, the thumb will change its status to LIVE. The user can now select the live feed by clicking once on the LIVE thumb and then select workspace 3 or 4 to perform the tasks.
Preparing the creation of clips
Selecting or creating a cliplist.
Although it is possible to create a cliplist from a Live feed, it is not recommended since it will only be valid during that Live feed. It will also be based on Proxy quality (Up to 5Mbps)
Create a new cliplist.
- Go to workspace 4 or 5 (Event View).
- Locate the metamodule and select the Cliplist feature (1).
- Locate the +New/Open tab (2) and click to open the Cliplist handling dialog.
- It is possible to select an existing cliplist or to make a new one. We will create a new one.
- Cliplist name - Create a name (3) for the cliplist.
- Description - Provide a narrative that reflects the content.
- Select the privacy:
- Private - The cliplist is visible to you only. Select Private.
- Group - The cliplist can be shared with the selected group(s) available from the drop-down menu.
- Public - Visible to users having access to Workspace 4 and 5.
- Click Create list (4)
- An empty cliplist is created and made visible from the cliplist tabs (5).
Open an existing cliplist.
Use the search frame under the All lists title or select from the list below the search frame. Existing cliplists that the user is granted access to are listed here. The user can use another colleague's cliplist by clicking on it once and pressing the Load in tab. The "eye" icon indicates if the cliplist is visible in the cliplist tabs. Clicking the Duplicate button initiates Mediabank to make a duplicate, adding -copy to the existing cliplist name and making it visible in the cliplist tabs. The Edit button enables the user to rename and/or change the description to the cliplist.
Selecting a cliplist and prepare to create clips.
If the Cliplist feature is disabled (1), it must be enabled by clicking the setup icon (2). In the Destination setting menu, click the "eye" icon to allow cliplist destinations (3). Then select the desired cliplist and press Save.
The cliplist feature is now enabled (4). Click the button to the left of the cliplist name (5) to activate it.
The button will turn orange, and the mediaplayer is now ready to create clips.
Create a cliplist entry and save it to the cliplist
- Load an asset or a live thumb into the mediaplayer.
- Select an active cliplist from the cliplist tab or search for an existing cliplist and make it active by pressing the Load in tab button.
- The active cliplist is recognizable by its slightly bold text and an X next to its name. Clicking on the X removes the cliplist from the metamodule. The removed cliplist is still intact, and by clicking +New/Open, the user can find it under the All lists section. Select the cliplist and click the Load in tab button to make it active and visible from the metamodule again.
- Use the navigation controls below the mediaplayer window to select the clip start position. First, press the IN button next to the left timecode. Then choose the clip's end position, and press the OUT button next to the right timecode. It is also possible to use the MARK button.
Detailed description can be found here: Navigation module
- Add the title or description.
- Ensure the correct cliplist is visible in the cliplist button below the clip entry title.
- Press Update to save the cliplist entry to the cliplist.
If clip entries from other assets are required, load a new asset into the mediaplayer. Then, continue to add additional cliplist entries following the above procedure.
Adjusting a cliplist entry.
Occasionally, a cliplist entry needs to be adjusted.
- From the metamodule:
- Click once on the desired cliplist entry.
- Click the Load Clip button located below the cliplist entries
- From the navigation module
- Adjust the clip to the correct position and press the adjusted IN or OUT position.
- Click the Update button to update.
- The cliplist entry is now edited and saved with its new timecode preferences.
Adjust the clip entry using the timeline.
The Pull-up menu (1) below the navigation module contains the available M-boxes used for the export/publishing of the media clips. It also includes the Event timeline that presents the clip as a light green box (2). It is possible to edit the clip by "grab" and dragging in or out positions while holding the left mouse button down. The timeline displays the clip's exact start position and duration. Click Update to save the clip data.
Changing the sequence of the clip list entries.
To move a cliplist entry up or down the active cliplist is easy. Click and continue to hold the left mouse button on the desired cliplist entry and move it up or down. When aligned, release the mouse button. The cliplist is automatically updated and saved.
Different ways to load a clip entry into the mediaplayer.
- Click on a cliplist entry to select it.
- The asset loads into the mediaplayer and aligns the start position from the actual IN position. Pressing play will start the player, and it continues to play until the end of the asset or when another navigation button is pressed.
- Click on a cliplist entry and press the View Clip button.
- The asset will load into the mediaplayer, start playing from the actual IN timecode and stop at the OUT timecode.
- Click on a cliplist entry and press the Load clip button
- The asset loads into the mediaplayer with its data, ready to be edited.
Adding the cliplist or its selected cliplist entries to an M-box.
When the cliplist (EDL) is completed, the rough cut is ready to be exported or published. First, go to the Meta module and Cliplists feature. Then select the desired Cliplist.
- Start by selecting the desired cliplist entries. Then, click the "select boxes" to the left of the cliplist entry.
- Once a cliplist entry is selected, the Add to M-box button is enabled.
- Continue to select additional cliplist entries if desired.
- Press the Add to M-box button to replace the Event timeline pull-up menu with the available M-boxes menu. Note that the Quicklink M-box is unavailable for this use.
- Select an M-box with a click of the mouse button.
- The cliplist entries are added to the selected M-box, visualized by the number of clip entries.
Selecting another cliplist and exporting the selected cliplist entries to the same M-box is possible. These cliplist entries are added to the existing cliplist entries.
Managing the cliplist entries in the M-box and publish/export the clip(s).
The user has several options to edit the cliplist before pressing Execute.
- Change the name of the final clip (if stitched), or add a common prefix to the final clips.
- Stitch the cliplist entries into a single clip
- Add additional recipients to be notified by selecting a notification list.
- The sender and the default destination recipient are always notified during the process.
- Change the sequence of the cliplist entries. The user can, in this situation, make the final rearrangements to the sequence of the cliplist entries. This is done by following the same procedure described earlier in the article.
- Remove a cliplist entry from the M-box by clicking the X button located on the right side of the cliplist entries.
The total length of the M-box media content is calculated and displayed. At this final stage, the user is left with three options:
- Close - leave the M-box ready to add additional cliplist entries.
- Empty the M-box - Clear the M-box by removing all entries. The original cliplist(s) is intact.
- Execute - Pressing execute will activate the following:
- The cliplist entries are converted to a single clip or multiple clips, dependent on the choice.
- The clips are encoded and adjusted to the recipient's media format requirements.
- The M-box handles the login procedures/security.
- A status message is sent to the default receivers and the users in the optional notification list.
Publishing a clip using the M-Box
It is also possible to create a clip and directly export it to a selected M-box. The M-Box feature must be selected in the Destination (Setup) menu with the desired M-Box and activated.
Proceed as normal when selecting a clip and press Execute. The clip is sent to the M-box for further processing.
In the below example, the clip is added to the Cliplist and sent to the selected M-Box, all in one operation when the user presses Execute.
The M-Box uses the asset quality when "offline" and High res. during Live feed.
Creating a Sub clip from a Live feed
The user can create a new asset (subclip) during the live feed for further processing.
Ensure the "create subclip" is selected from the Destination menu, and CREATE SUBCLIP is activated from the navigation module.
The new asset, created from the Subclip feature, is high-resolution quality, and Mediabank will create a standard proxy file.
An additional feature is the possibility to add valuable metadata to the subclip for further processing. The below image shows an example using the metadata from an ongoing match.
Download clips from Mediabank
Mediabank makes it possible to use the feature "DOWNLOAD CLIP" for users who need to process further the selected rough cuts on their local server or laptop.
Observe that these rough cuts are taken from the low-resolution media feed (approx. 5mbps bandwidth), with quality comparable to the asset proxies.
A quick summary of the various features:
------ End of article ------