This article contains the following topic:
- The Benefits
- M-box? What's that?
- Multi M-box
- Control the M-box usage
What are the benefits of using M-boxes?
There are numerous reasons to use M-boxes, reduced workload, consistent media content delivery, elimination of user errors, and much more. M-boxes are the user's most efficient operating tools. A single M-box performs multiple operations and puts the user in control. Here are some of the benefits:
- Login procedures
- M-boxes already contain the access credentials of the receiving destination. User Id/password is unknown to the users.
- Only users with correct credentials can use an M-box.
- Multiple job functions and tasks can be performed in one action.
- The content is always delivered with consistent technical specs.
- It is always delivered to the correct recipient.
- Reduced workload on resources
- Transcoding, Conversions, compressions, and codec choice are predefined and according to the receiver's specifications.
- Any errors during transactions are automatically reported to both origin and recipient. Enabling immediate action to maintain service availability.
- Every Mbox is monitored by NEP support staff. (Errors are probably fixed before the end-user becomes aware of any issue.)
- M-boxes also provides a usage log, enabling NEP support staff to inform the user that they should pay extra attention to the present transaction.
- Increased service availability
What is an M-box
An M-box is a "Magical" box enabling users to download or send/publish media content to different sites/locations/receivers without worrying about security or technical issues.
The available M-boxes are placed in the pull-up folder located at the bottom of the Library workspace. Corresponding pull-up menus are available for the other Mediabank applications but usually without the publishing M-boxes.
The user selects the media content, adds it to the preferred M-box, and presses execute. The media content is delivered, and both the sender and receiver are notified when the media content is delivered (or failed). All in one operation without thinking about username/password, IP-addresses, or media format. Every detail is pre-configured, relieving the user from technical details and preventing user errors.
Adding media content to an M-box can be done in several ways. The M-boxes are always available from the Action menus in Mediabank. The Action menus can be found in every Library workspace and from the main menu located in the top center of the user's screen.
By selecting several assets/clips, the user can add them all to an M-box in one operation. Once added, the M-box menu will automatically appear in the pull-up menu. Click on the M-box to open its publishing template.
- M-box limitations. It is possible to configure the M-boxes with a limitation to avoid uncontrolled use of the M-boxes.
- Prefix - Providing a pre-fix to the published media content makes it easier to identify the user/department or type. If the receiving end supports workflows/routines, the pre-fix can initiate additional procedures.
- Stitch - The user can tell the M-box to stitch the clips together when publishing, avoiding additional editing time and use of other applications.
- Choose from a pre-configured list who should be notified when the material is published.
- The number of assets/clips ready to be published. Press the X to the right of each clip to remove any unwanted asset from the publishing list.
- Close the dialog template for later. You can open it any time to finish your work.
- All wrong? Empty the M-box and start all over.
- Is everything ok? Press Execute and publish the material.
Attachments and M-boxes
It is also possible to use the M-boxes to transfer office files as attachments. Contact support/Delivery to have the M-boxes configured.
Mediabank also supports an enhancement to the existing M-Box. This enhancement is beneficial for users publishing the same media content to many destinations. Instead of adding the same media content to each separate M-box, the user choose the Multi M-box.
The new Multi M-box template contains all the available M-boxes, and all the users need to do is select the actual destinations and press execute. Locate the "Select destination M-boxes" menu and click the desired M-boxes.
The Multi M-box is not delivered as a standard feature but needs to be enabled by Mediabank support. Contact your local admin or Mediabank support to configure the Multi M-box.
Using M-boxes is charged by minutes of media content transferred. Transferring hours of media content from hundreds of users requires control of both usage and cost. Mediabank customers can choose to use the M-boxes as follows:
- Free use, no restriction, but still in control. The accumulated use is visible to every user from the Dashboard when they login to Mediabank. Any "abuse" is discovered immediately.
- Customers preferring strict control can choose a maximum weekly usage. When achieved, the M-box will not accept any further publishing. The "counter" is reset every Sunday at midnight.
- Customers preferring less strict control can choose a maximum weekly usage, but the users are allowed to exceed the agreed volume at a higher cost per/minute. The "counter" is reset every Sunday at midnight.
- M-boxes must be manually configured by Mediabank support/delivery.
- They are preconfigured with user/passwords. Users with access to the M-box do not need to know the technical details about the destination account.
- Publishing sites, broadcasters, newspapers all have their specific requirements about the incoming media content. Each M-box converts the media content automatically to the destination requirements.
- M-boxes are destination agnostic. Cloud services, FTP sites, SOME sites like Youtube, etc., are supported.
- M-boxes can be used for backups, file transfer, publishing, Archiving, and more.
- They can also be a part of automated workflows, doing daily/weekly/monthly routine tasks.
End of article