This article contains the following topic:
- The Benefits
- M-box? What's that?
- Multi M-box
- Control the M-box usage
What are the benefits of using Mboxes?
The reasons are many, reduced workload, consistent media content delivery, eliminating user errors, and much more. Here are some of the benefits:
- Login procedures
- Predefined accounts with user/passwords already in place.
- User's that have access to a Mbox' are already verified by Mediabank
- Multiple job functions can be performed in one action.
- The content is always delivered with consistent technical specs.
- It is always delivered to the correct recipient
- Reduced workload on resources
- Conversions, compressions, choice of codec, every job is done once and only when needed.
- Any errors are automatically reported to both origin and recipient. Enabling immediate action to maintain service availability.
- Every Mbox is monitored by NEP support staff. (Errors are probably fixed before the end-user becomes aware of any issue.)
- Increased service availability
What is an M-box
An M-box is a "Magical" box enabling users to download or send/publish media content to different sites/locations/receivers without worrying about security or technical issues.
The available M-boxes are placed in the pull-up folder located at the bottom of the Library workspace. Corresponding pull-up menus are available for the other Mediabank applications but usually without the publishing M-boxes.
Simply explained, the user selects the media content, add's it to the preferred M-box and press execute. The media content is delivered and both the sender and receiver are notified when the media content is delivered (or failed). All in one operation without thinking about username/password, IP-addresses, or media format. Every detail is pre-configured, relieving the user from technical details, and preventing user errors.
Adding media content to an M-box can be done in several ways. The M-boxes are always available from the Action menus in Mediabank. The Action menus can be found in every Library workspace and from the main menu located in the top center of the user's screen.
The user can, by selecting several assets/clips add them all to an M-box in one operation. Once added, the M-box menu will automatically appear in the pull-up menu. Click on the M-box to open its publishing template.
- M-box limitations. It is possible to configure the M-boxes with a limitation to avoid uncontrolled use of the M-boxes.
- Prefix - Providing a pre-fix to the published media content makes it easier to identify the user/department or type. If the receiving end supports workflows/routines, the pre-fix can initiate additional procedures.
- Stitch - The user can tell the M-box to stitch the clips together when publishing, avoiding additional editing time and use of other applications.
- Choose from a pre-configured list who should be notified when the material is published.
- The number of assets/clips ready to be published. Press the X to the right of each clip to remove any unwanted asset from the publishing list.
- Close the dialog template for later. You can open it any time to finish your work.
- All wrong? Empty the M-box and start all over.
- Is everything ok? Simply press Execute and publish the material.
Attachments and M-boxes
It is also possible to use the M-boxes to transfer office files as attachments. Contact support/Delivery to have the M-boxes configured.
In version 3.8.5 Mediabank added an enhancement to the existing M-Box. This enhancement is especially useful for users publishing the same media content to many destinations. Instead of adding the same media content to each separate M-box, the user choose the new Multi M-box.
The new Multi M-box template contains all the available M-boxes and all the user need to do is simply select the actual destinations and press execute. Locate the "Select destination M-boxes" menu and click the desired M-boxes.
The Multi M-box is not delivered as a standard feature, but need to be enabled by Mediabank support. Contact your local admin or Mediabank support to configure the Multi M-box
Using M-boxes is charged by minutes of media content transferred. Transferring hours of media content from hundreds of users requires control of both usage and cost. Mediabank customers can choose to use the M-boxes as follows:
- Free use, no restriction but still in control. The accumulated use is visible to every user from the Dashboard when they login to Mediabank. Any "abuse" are discovered immediately.
- Customers preferring strict control can choose a maximum weekly usage. When achieved, the M-box will not accept any further publishing. The "counter" is reset every Sunday midnight.
- Customers preferring less strict control can choose a maximum weekly usage, but the users are allowed to exceed the agreed volume at a higher cost per/minute. The "counter" is reset every Sunday midnight.
- M-boxes must be manually configured by Mediabank support/delivery.
- They are preconfigured with user/passwords. Users with access to the M-box does not need to know the technical details about the destination account.
- Publishing sites, broadcasters, newspapers, they all have their specific requirements about the incoming media content. Each M-box converts the media content automatically to the destination requirements.
- M-boxes are destination agnostic. Cloud services, FTP sites, SOME sites like Youtube, Twitter, etc. are supported
- M-boxes can be used for backups, file transfer, publishing, Archiving and more
- They can also be a part of automated workflows, doing daily/weekly/monthly routine tasks.
End of article